Dedicated to goddess Shantadurga, the temple is located just 30 km from the capital of Goa, Panaji. A reincarnation of goddess Jagdamba, Sri Durga is believed to have meditated between Vishnu and Shiva to stop the war going on between the two and save the world from destruction. The beautiful idol of Sri Durga, located inside the main structure, is flanked by Shiva and Vishnu on both sides.
The temple that can be seen standing today was built between 1713 and 1738 during the reign of king Shanu Maharaj of Satara. Since then, a number of renovation projects have been carried out at the site to offer better facilities for devotees and tourists who converge here in large numbers from all across the globe.
Some of the major attractions of the temple are a huge tank, the candle stand and the guest house.
Location of Sri Shantadurga Temple
The Shantadurga temple is located just 30 km from Panaji in Kavlem Taluka in the Ponda district of Northern Goa.
Like most of the other temples in Goa, Sri Shantadurga Temple was also shifted to its present location during the Portuguese invasion to protect it from being destroyed at the hands of the ruling government. The temple is believed to have been originally built at Keloshi.
How to reach Shri Shantadurga Temple
Goa’s only airport is located at Dabolim, just 28 km from Panaji, which connects the state with a number of cities in India and across the world. From the airport one can hire a pre-paid taxi or board a bus to reach Panaji. The region is also connected to other cities through a well built network of state and national highways. State transport and other private bus operators offer regular services between Panaji and Shantadurga temple.